This grant (up to $240k) aims to help Australian businesses invest in projects that build their defence export capability. Australian Government recognises that the Australian defence industry needs to grow and innovate, which requires exploring new markets and opportunities in order to unlock its full potential.
Deadlines and Timings
Applications are open and you may apply at any time. The expected timing of the grant opportunity are given below, and if successful, your project is expected to commence right after receiving the offer of grant funding.
- Assessment of applications: Applications are batched and assessed every 8-12weeks
- Approval of outcomes of selection process: 2 weeks from application assessment
- Negotiations and award of grant agreements: 5 weeks
- Notification to unsuccessful applicants: After grant agreements have been executed
- Earliest start date of project: The date you are notified your application has been successful
- End date of grant commitment: 18 months after the commencement of the grant agreement
Overview and Grant Amount
The intended outcome of the grant opportunity is a more sustainable and more globally competitive Australian defence industry to support Australia’s Defence capability needs. The grant amount will be up to 80% of eligible project costs.
- minimum grant amount is $24,000
- maximum grant amount is $240,000
There is no limit on the number of grants a business can receive over the life of the grant opportunity. You cannot use funding from other Commonwealth, State, Territory or local government grants to fund your share of eligible project costs.
Eligibility and Criteria
To be eligible, you must:
- be an SME with less than 200 employees
- have an Australian Business Number (ABN)
- be a company incorporated in Australia or be an incorporated trustee on behalf of a trust
and be one of the following entities:
- an entity incorporated in Australia
- an incorporated trustee on behalf of a trust
Joint applications are acceptable, provided you have a lead applicant who is the main driver of the project and is eligible to apply. In addition, you must:
- provide evidence from your board (or chief executive officer or equivalent if there is no board) that the project is supported, and that you can complete the project and meet the costs of the project not covered by grant funding
- provide an external Accountant Declaration that confirms you can fund your share of the project costs
Eligible Grant Activities
Eligible projects must:
- include eligible activities and eligible expenditure
- have at least $30,000 in eligible expenditure
- relate to new or expanded defence export opportunities
- occur within Australia
Eligible activities relate directly to the project and may include:
- buying, leasing, constructing, installing or commissioning of capital equipment including specialist software to enhance cyber security
- design, engineering and commissioning activities
- workforce training and accreditations
You can only spend the grant funds on eligible expenditure you have incurred on an agreed project as defined in your grant agreement. You must incur the project expenditure between the project start and end date for it to be eligible unless stated otherwise. To be eligible, expenditure must:
- be a direct cost of the project
- be incurred by you for required project audit activities
Interested parties may submit their accomplished application forms for the SADI program grant via the online Customer Portal. Applicants are encouraged to read through all the criteria set by the guidelines of this grant.
Treadstone experts can help you understand government grants and maximise the benefits for your business. We have been helping clients since 2008 and our clients can testify to our proven success record. Working with us means you get the maximum grant with minimum risk and effort. Our expertise includes R&D Tax Incentive registration and tax schedules, Export Grants, Capital Expenditure and Infrastructure Grants.
Get in touch with us and let’s discuss this more in detail.
For information about other Australian Government Grants, visit Treadstone New Grants page and sign up to our newsletter!