CSIRO Kick-start is a matched funding program of up to $50K aimed toward innovative start-ups and small- and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to help them with technical expertise or funding and access to research and development (R&D) to explore new opportunities.
What is the funding for?
Businesses have the chance to access dollar-matched funding of up to $50,000 towards research activities with CSIRO. These include:
- research into a new idea with commercial potential
- development of a novel or improved product or process
- testing of a novel product, developed by the company, to inform research and development activities
You can access up to two vouchers between $10K and $50K each. Projects can be larger than $100k, but the Kick-Start voucher amount will be capped at $50k per project. The minimum total project cost is $20k. The project timing will be subject to researcher availability.
Eligibility and Criteria
Projects will be developed between the company and the relevant CSIRO researcher(s). If required this can be facilitated by the SME Connect team. Eligible projects must:
- Include one of the following activities: (i) research into a new idea or discovery with commercial potential; (ii) development of a novel or improved product or process; (iii) testing of a novel product, developed by the company, to inform research and development activities.
- Be delivered by CSIRO business units and/or facilities. This currently includes: agriculture and food, Data61, energy, health and biosecurity, land and water, manufacturing, mineral resources, oceans and atmosphere, services, astronomy and space science, Australian Animal Health Laboratory (AAHL), national facilities and collections
- be less than 1 year in length
- have a mutually agreed budget and scope of work
- be registered, and have their primary place of business, within Australia (Australian subsidiary companies of foreign entities are not eligible)
- be an operating business with an Australian Company number (ACN)
- be a for-profit, non-tax exempt company which is registered for GST
- have an annual turnover and operating expenditure of less than $1.5million, in the current and each of the 2 previous financial years, or
- have been a registered company for less than 3 years
Where a company is part of a corporate group, additional information may be requested regarding the group structure and operations to enable assessment of suitability for the Kick-Start program. Upon successful completion of a first Kick-Start project, businesses can apply for a second Kick-Start voucher providing they:
- continue to meet all the eligibility criteria above
- have satisfactorily completed all required reporting
- have not received more than one Kick-Start voucher (including vouchers received by any related company)
How to Apply?
Companies without previous relationships with CSIRO researchers should fill out an expression of interest. Full applications are to be completed by the relevant CSIRO researcher or business development professional in collaboration with the applicant company. Please discuss with your CSIRO contacts whether it is appropriate to enter into a confidentiality agreement with CSIRO before disclosing company confidential information. Completed application forms must be signed by a director or authorised officer of the company and an authorised CSIRO representative, before emailing a scanned copy to Dr. Megan Sebben, Kick-Start Program Manager, CSIRO SME Connect.
We have 14 years of experience preparing EMDG claims and can assist in making sure you receive your maximum rebate.
Working with us means you get the maximum grant with minimum risk and effort. Our expertise includes R&D Tax Incentive registration and tax schedules, Export Grants, Capital Expenditure and Infrastructure Grants.
Get in touch with us and let’s discuss this more in detail.
For information about other Australian Government Grants, visit Treadstone New Grants page and sign up to our newsletter!