Export Market Development Grants (EMDG) are open for FY23+ applications from 6th July 2022, and closing on 17th August 2022. This round is for expenses incurred in FY23 and onwards, and must be applied for in advance. Applications will be approved for either 2 or 3 year agreements.
Businesses planning to incur marketing and travel expenses for export promotions are entitled to up to 50% cash rebate of eligible activities. Business that have already received an Austrade EMDG agreements in FY22 do not need to reapply.
Applications are to be open for only 6 weeks. If you miss this window you will have to wait till the following year to apply.
EMDG Deadlines for FY23 Applications
- Opens AEST 9AM on Wednesday 6 July 2022
- Closes AEST 4PM on Wednesday 17 August 2022
- Applicant must have under $20m turnover in prior year.
- There will be annual lodgement periods to cover expenses in the upcoming financial year. All applicants must submit during this period, or you will miss out and you will have to wait till the following year.
- There are three streams of grants Tier 1 (2 years), Tier 2 (3 years) and Tier 3 (3 years).
- Each Tier has a different maximum rebate Tier 1 ($40,000), Tier 2 ($80,000), Tier 3 ($150,000).
- Grant amounts will be determined by Austrade once all applications have been received and assessed. The value of your grant will be included in your grant agreement.
- Payments will be made annually at nominated milestones dates.
- Applicants are eligible for 8 EMDG grant years, inclusive of any grants applied for under the prior EMDG program.
Who Is Eligible
To be eligible for EMDG you must be one of the following:
- Australian individual
- Statutory corporation or
And intend to carry out export eligible promotion activities related to one of the following eligible products:
- Software or
- IP or know-how
How to Apply and Deadlines for FY23 Expenses
Applications are submitted in advance. If successful you will receive a Grant Agreement for the 2- or 3-year period. Payments will be retrospective, after annual milestone report are submitted (likely to be in August).
What Expenses Are Eligible
The following categories are eligible that relate to export marketing and sales promotion activities:
- Overseas representatives
- Marketing trips from Australia
- Marketing consultants
- Free samples
- Trade shows
- Promotional and advertising expenses (online and physical)
- Overseas trademarks and patents
- Foreign buyer visits
- Domestic travel to meet foreign buyers
- Training activities by approved training bodies
The following are not eligible:
- expenses that have been been reimbursed by other entities
- exempt activities
- expenses that cannot be supported by evidence
- holiday travel
- packaging design
- commissions on sale
EMDG Evidence and Documentation
You will need to:
- have a registered ABN
- demonstrate principal status for the export products and evidence that income comes back to Australia
- evidence that your goods / services/ know how is made in Australia, or if you have goods made outside Australia show that Australia will derive a significant net benefit from its sale overseas
- provide evidence that you have paid for expenses claimed, including invoices bank statements and contracts
- provide a PLAN TO MARKET which will including a budget projection for the duration of your grant agreement
Treadstone Expert Assistance
Treadstone experts can help you understand government grants and maximise the benefits for your business. We have been helping clients since 2008 and our clients can testify to our proven success record. Working with us means you get the maximum grant with minimum risk and effort. Our expertise includes R&D Tax Incentive registration and tax schedules, Export Grants, Capital Expenditure and Infrastructure Grants.
To see if you may be eligible for R&D Tax Incentive, Export Market Development Grants (EMDG), or Innovation grants please follow the links below:
Get in touch with us and let’s discuss this more in detail.
For information about other Australian Government Grants, visit Treadstone New Grants page and sign up to our newsletter!