Small to medium enterprises (SMEs) in Victoria and Tasmania are invited to participate in this free 10-week program run by CSIRO. The program will focus on helping SMEs in increasing their R&D knowledge and is open to any company regardless of the sector they are in to pursue a new type of innovation that could be relevant for the defence industry.”
Deadlines and Timings
Applications for the 10-week program will close on 03 Oct 2022.
Overview and Grant Amount
This program is open to SMEs currently working in the defence industry, or those working in other areas looking to offer new technology or solutions that could be applicable to the defence industry. The program aims to refine participants’ innovation idea and how to turn this into a research and development opportunity.
The course will help you to:
- identify your innovation opportunities
- refine your value proposition
- understand the R&D viability
- help you build your business case
- provide guidance on how to prepare a strong funding application
The program is made up of virtual webinars and self-paced learning as follows: Pre-workshop: Preparing for the program (approximately 2 hours)
- Participants will be provided with an on-boarding session, pre-workshop videos, materials and questionnaires to assist in preparing for the program.
- Time commitment is approximately two hours.
Week 1: Workshop (4.5 hours)
- The program’s main compulsory component is a half-day workshop covering the program concept. Participants will hear from CSIRO industry and research experts as well as relevant industry SMEs. Key topics include trends within your industry sector, a panel discussion with collaborating SMEs, and current funding opportunities for R&D.
- Time commitment is approximately 4.5 hours.
Week 2-10: Self-paced innovation program
- Participants will work through the online innovation program at their own pace, supported by CSIRO experts and experienced innovation facilitators to develop and test their research ideas and business cases.
- Fortnightly webinars on topics such as how to write a funding proposal and expert insights into your industry.
- Final wrap-up session.
- Time commitment is approximately 2-3 hours per week.
Key program outcomes
Personalised support to refine your idea: CSIRO will step you through the process of turning your idea into a viable research project.
Confidential feedback: All submissions through the program portal will receive prompt expert feedback.
Mentor: You will be provided with a mentor from CSIRO or a university to assist you with understanding the program deliverables and connecting you to relevant specialists.
Build your network: You will build key contacts in your sector, including researchers at CSIRO and universities, domain experts, funding professionals and other SMEs.
This program is open to SMEs in Victoria and Tasmania working on innovations from the subsectors listed below.
- integrated intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance
- enhanced human performance
- medical countermeasures
- advanced materials
- advanced sensors or quantum technologies
- autonomous systems
Selection criteria (essential):
- an Australian registered and operating business with an ABN and ACN/ICN
- a business operating in Victoria and Tasmania
- a business classified as small to medium (less than 200 employees)
- a business currently, or in the early stages of, exploring R&D opportunities for their business
- currently working in the defence sector or have identified a new opportunity relevant to defence
- any other information provided to support your application
- have a clear need to develop your skills in R&D
Please note: CSIRO awards places to businesses based on the strength of their application, and a clear interest and capacity to pursue research and development. Participants from a variety of industry sub‑sectors and regions are also included. For more information, look up this program’s brochure here. If this is something you want to venture in, lodge your application here.
We have 14 years of experience preparing EMDG claims and can assist in making sure you receive your maximum rebate.
Working with us means you get the maximum grant with minimum risk and effort. Our expertise includes R&D Tax Incentive registration and tax schedules, Export Grants, Capital Expenditure and Infrastructure Grants.