13 Round 2 Technology Requirement Specification for Victorian Government – Market Validation Programs are now available on the MVP website. This programs offers full funding for feasibility study and proof of concept up to $1.5m. The 13 specifications are:
- Absorbable rib prosthesis
- Algae biomass to biogas
- Antibiotic Delivery System
- Beneficial Reuse of Biosolids
- Development of self-sampling devices and STI testing
- Interactive Patient Journey System
- Ophthalmic Outreach Diagnostic Platform
- Pharmacogenomic Decision Support System
- Portable body movement sensor
- Smart sensor technology for large diameter water pipelines
- Specialised infant feeding teat
- Stormwater treatment technology
- Vehicle On-board Unit Auditing Station
You can also follow the links to a particular TRS to register yourself if you have expertise or skills to offer.
Applications close on Monday 6 December.
What is the Smart SMEs – Market Validation Program (MVP)?
The Smart SMEs Market Validation Program (MVP) is a $28 million competitive grants program that engages with both government and business to promote state-based innovation. The program supports Small to Medium Enterprises (SMEs) to develop innovative products, processes and services focussed on meeting the future technology needs of Victorian public sector entities.
What are the stages of the Market Validation Program?
Stage one of the Market Validation Program is the submission of Technology Requirements Specification (TRS) by Victorian public sector entities which are competitively assessed by DIIRD and an industry-based assessment panel.
The TRS that are approved are released under the Call for Proposal (stage two). Applications received from the SMEs are assessed by the Victorian public sector entity (Host Entity), DIIRD and if required, technology experts. The approved SMEs receive a grant of up to $100,000 to undertake a feasibility study over three months.
Stage three is the assessment of the Feasibility Study Report by the Host Entity and DIIRD to determine whether further funding will be recommended for up to $1.5 million over two years to undertake R&D to Proof of Concept.
What is a Small to Medium Enterprise (SME)?
For the Smart SMEs Market Validation Program an eligible SME will:
- be a non tax-exempt company incorporated in Australia under the Corporations Act 2001, with at least 51 per cent of the applicant’s current business activities, employees or assets residing within Australia
- have a combined turnover of less than $50m for each of the three financial years prior to application
- have fewer than 200 employees
- have access to any necessary IP
- be willing to undertake not less than 80% of the R&D work in Victoria
- have the Principal Investigator based in Victoria for the duration of the project.
Collaboration is permitted under the Market Validation Program and can be undertaken with another enterprise and/or university and/or research organisation. All collaborations must be SME-led with the component of R&D work contributed by university and research organisations into the overall program to be no more than 30 per cent.
How will the Market Validation Program work for SMEs?
The technology specifications developed by the public sector entities will be released to the SME market through a Call for Proposals.
Market Validation Program proposals submitted by SMEs will then be assessed against the following criteria:
- Technical merit of the proposed technology solution
- Capability to conduct R&D projects
- Resourcing of the project including key personnel, facilities and budget
Successful SMEs will then undertake a Feasibility Study and report on the outcomes of the study.
The Market Validation Program Feasibility Study report will then be assessed to progress to the Proof of Concept stage.
What benefits will the MVP deliver to SMEs?
The Smart SMEs Market Validation Program is designed to substantially boost the ability of SMEs to interact with customers in a demanding client setting, to commercially develop and prove their products and provide a sustainable commercial base from which to secure expansion capital, export revenue and future customers.
Benefits to SMEs from the Market Validation Program will include:
- access to R&D grant funding over four years
- opportunity to develop innovative R&D capability
- improved understanding of what is required in developing solutions that respond specifically to identified needs
- creation and retention of IP
- recognition, verification and visibility in the marketplace
- a leveraging tool to attract further investment capital or research funds
- a commercialisation platform.
- The round closes on Monday 6 December. No late submissions will be accepted.
- You are not permitted to contact the host entity at any stage while the round is open.
- If you require further details or clarification about any TRS, you may email the MVP team at email@example.com . Any supplementary information provided by a host entity will be posted on the website for all applicants to view.
- We recommend that you keep viewing the website from time to time as new information (and a 14th TRS) may be posted.
- If you are considering collaboration with another SME, a university or a research institute, we encourage you to enter your details into the collaboartion directory to either seek a collaboration partner or to offer services or expertise to another party. Details about this facility can be found on our website
To find out how Treadstone can help your business with an Application for MVP call us on 03 9016 3575.