Northern Australia Business and Community Growth Program will assist community organisations and other entities (including sole traders and partnerships), to support business growth, improve social and economic infrastructure, increase community amenity and liveability and deliver employment outcomes. This program has received a high level of interest through the first assessment rounds. The assessment committee receives batched applications to consider approximately every 3 months. Project must be based in Northern Australia ( see criteria).
Open throughout the year until 24 October 2023 05:00 PM AEDT
Overview and Grant Amount
The Northern Australia Business and Community Growth Program aims to:
- increase employment opportunities
- increase business turnover and profitability
- increase diversification of business in Northern Australia
- improve community amenity and liveability
The grants available will be up to 50% of eligible project expenditure (grant percentage)
- The minimum grant amount is $50,000
- The maximum grant amount is $2 million
Eligibility and Criteria
To be eligible you must have an Australian business number (ABN) and be one of the following entities:
- an incorporated association
- an incorporated not for profit organisation
- a sole trader (an individual running a business)
- a partnership
- a non-distributive co-operative
- an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Corporation registered under the Corporations (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander) Act 2006
Joint applications are acceptable, provided you have a lead organisation who is the main driver of the project and is eligible to apply.
To be eligible, your project must have at least $100,000 in eligible expenditure, and be aimed at:
- scaling up or diversifying an organisation
- improving social and economic infrastructure
- increasing community amenity and liveability.
It must also deliver one or more of these eligible project types:
- projects for the benefit of Indigenous people or communities
- projects undertaken in or relating to a territory
- projects that support or promote interstate and overseas trade and commerce
- projects that are delivered through, or facilitate the use of, a relevant communications service
- projects that increase employment
Eligible activities may include:
- buying, constructing, installing or commissioning plant and equipment construction and/or fit out of new infrastructure
- the upgrade, renovation or extension to existing infrastructure such as buildings and laboratories
- the replacement of infrastructure where there is a significant increase in benefit
- capital expenditure which is directly related to your project (not ‘business as usual’) for the purchase of assets such as office furniture and equipment, motor vehicles, computers, printers or photocopiers
- relevant training and skills development directly related to your project
- feasibility studies/business case to bring your project to investment ready
- process design and engineering
- costs associated with preparing of environmental approval applications and other statutory and required approvals
- scaling up activities related to the business opportunity
You must submit your application through the online portal. The portal allows you to apply for and manage a grant or service in a secure online environment. Applicants are encouraged to read through all the criteria set by this grant, which may be found here.
“Northern Australia”: The White Paper on Developing Northern Australia defines Northern Australia as those parts of Queensland and Western Australia above the Tropic of Capricorn and all of the Northern Territory. Christmas Island and the Cocos (Keeling) Islands collectively known as the Indian Ocean Territories are included as part of Northern Australia.
Treadstone experts can help you understand government grants and maximise the benefits for your business. We have been helping clients since 2008 and our clients can testify to our proven success record. Working with us means you get the maximum grant with minimum risk and effort. Our expertise includes R&D Tax Incentive registration and tax schedules, Export Grants, Capital Expenditure and Infrastructure Grants.
Get in touch with us and let’s discuss this more in detail.
For information about other Australian Government Grants, visit Treadstone New Grants page and sign up to our newsletter!