The NSW Government is seeking expressions of interest from NSW space industry startups to be part of its Space Bootcamp program hosted by Austrade at their Landing Pad in San Francisco. The five-day program will be held between 27-31 August 2018 and will include flights and accommodation for successful applicants.
USA Delegation purpose
The purpose of this program is to introduce early stage NSW businesses to the highly developed San Francisco space industry and startup ecosystem. The program will include mentoring and business development from established US startup businesses, networking and partnership opportunities, guidance on doing business in the US and an overview of the funding environment.
Participants will be invited to visit space industry startups and more established companies, as well as take part in tours of major incubators, accelerators, and research institutions in the Bay Area. Participants will also enjoy access to WeWork facilities for the length of the program, and be invited to attend community fireside chats and networking events with other members of the Australian startup community in San Francisco.
Deadline: Applications close on Tuesday 7 August 2018.
Failure to submit correct and completed forms may result in the application being deemed ineligible and not being considered further.
The application process involves two stages:
- Eligibility assessment – applications will be assessed by NSW Department of Industry and Austrade against eligibility criteria. Applicants will be informed if they do not meet the criteria.
- Full assessment – application forms will be assessed by a panel of NSW industry and Austrade representatives against weighted assessment criteria.
To be eligible for a place on this program, applicants must be:
- A registered business with an Australian Business Number (ABN), registered in NSW
- Working in the operation or manufacturing of space technology or utilising space-derived data
- Operating as a for-profit organisation and solvent
- A business whose activities demonstrate a net benefit to Australia
- A business operating in the best interest of Australia
- Committed to maintaining appropriate business ethics and legal obligations in Australia and overseas
- Able to obtain a visa or visa waiver for the United States (including having a valid passport)
- Able to acquire travel insurance before flights are purchased.
Applicants must also:
- Not source their contribution funding from any other NSW Government program
- Not currently be involved in any litigation or impending litigation
- Be able to secure a visa, or visa waiver, before departure on 26 August 2018.
Applications will be judged against the following criteria, each one being weighted equally:
- level of innovation
- market gap
- global scalability
- benefit to the startup.
Travel and accommodation
The Department of Industry will provide return flights from Sydney to San Francisco and hotel accommodation for the duration of the bootcamp (five (5) nights). The department will also cover ground travel expenses related to the official program and some meals.
Tactical workshops at the Austrade Landing Pad in San Francisco
Austrade will organise roundtable workshops with ‘New Space’ industry experts, seasons mentors and service providers. Topics are subject to change, but will likely include:
- Silicon Valley 101 – an overview of the market and business culture
- US business essentials – structuring, taxation, migration, marketing essentials, fundraising
- Overview of the Australian founders community in the US
- Lessons from seasoned Australian founders
- Lessons from space industry experts (TBC)
Site visits in San Francisco
Austrade will organise tailored site visits for bootcamp participants. This will include visits to space startups and more established companies as well as tours of major incubator, accelerators, and research institutions in the Bay Area. Possible visits include:
- Planet Labs
- Lockheed Martin Advanced Technology Centre
- Silicon Valley Bank
- The Vault (home of MoonshotX)
- CSIRO Silicon Valley
- Plug and Play Tech Centre.
Community-wide networking events
Austrade partners with Bay Area organisations such as the Aussie Founders Network to host community fireside chats and networking events. During these events, participants will have the opportunity to connect with peers and thought leaders from the wider expat community. Past speakers have included serial entrepreneurs, investors, and academics from Google, Apple, Temando, CSIRO, among others. A networking event during this bootcamp will feature a speaker with expertise in space industries.
The San Francisco Landing Pad operates out of WeWork (44 Montgomery St, SF), a global network of over 400 workspaces that includes entrepreneurs, innovators, service providers, corporate innovation departments, and investors.
While at WeWork, participants receive access to a suite of services and in-kind resources including:
- 24/7 access to the building
- access to a Member Network of 200,000+ WeWork members internationally
- invitations to all of WeWork’s community events and office hours
- private phone booths
- fast and secure WiFi and ethernet connections
- printing/scanning/copying services
- over 100 exclusive member benefits
- guest reception and greeting
- free coffee, tea, and filtered fruit water.
The following costs must be covered by the participants:
- full comprehensive travel (including medical) insurance
- any costs associated with independent activities and travel
- additional meal costs
- any additional or incidental accommodation costs, including room service and mini bar charges
- mobile phone, hotel calls and internet usage.
Visa, passports, and Smartraveller registration
Most Australian citizens traveling to the United States for less than 90 days are eligible for the Visa Waiver Program. If you are not an Australian citizen, it will be your responsibility to ensure that you have the appropriate visa.
Any costs associated with entry to the US will be covered by you.
Participants should read travel advice and register on the Smartraveller website and should consult the Smartraveller page for business visitors
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com