The electric vehicle (EV) destination charging grants will invest $20 million to roll out widespread, public EV charging infrastructure at visitor destinations across regional NSW. This is to address one of the biggest barriers to consumers purchasing plug-in EVs, which is range anxiety or the battery charge of an EV.
Deadlines and Timings
Applications for funding round one is open and will close on 5pm, Friday 23 September, 2022.
A total funding allocation of $7 million will be available in round one. There will be multiple funding rounds through to 2024 supporting the growth of the EV destination charger network across regional NSW.
Applicants will receive an email notification within 6 weeks of their submission date confirming the outcome of their application. Successful applicants can proceed with the purchase and installation of their approved EV charger(s), which is to be completed within 4-months of notification of the grant.
Overview and Grant Amount
An investment in EV charging by your business will:
- attract new visitors to your site
- enhance your visitors’ experience
- increase the average length of time visitors spend at your site
- enable you to promote your location and EV charging facilities through online charging maps, future EV tourist drives, and word of mouth
By joining the growing EV charging network across NSW, you will also be part of the solution to reduce carbon emissions and help reach our Net Zero emissions target. A key action of the NSW Electric Vehicle Strategy, the grants will encourage the growth of the EV market by:
- overcome range anxiety and help to create a world-class EV charging network
- support destinations across regional NSW to be EV-ready
- support the growth of the NSW visitor economy
- ability to cater for an increasing number of EV drivers
The grants will fund the following for up to 4 EV chargers per site:
- 75% towards the cost of an eligible 7 kW and/or 22 kW electric vehicle charger(s)
- 75% towards the cost of installation (capped at $1,000 per charger)
- 50% towards a 2-year EV charger software subscription from the EV charger software list
Eligibility and Criteria
To be eligible, you must be:
- located in an eligible regional NSW local government area (LGA)
- an approved destination type as listed on page 25 of the guidelines
- have no more than one existing EV charger installed
- completed pre-application checklist
- an Australian Business Number (ABN)
- details of each site
- written consent from the property owner if operating through a lease agreement
- written consent from Crown Lands if operating the site on behalf of NSW Crown Lands
- a photo of the off-street parking location where your charger(s) would be installed
- a commercial quote for the purchase and installation of an approved EV destination charger
- a commercial quote for the purchase of a 2-year subscription for approved EV charger software
- a declaration committing to ensure that each charger is properly operated and maintained
Additional eligibility requirements for each site apply and more details are outlined in the guidelines. Please read the full EV destination charging grants guidelines to understand the eligibility requirements and how they relate to your business.
Eligible Destination Category
The destination types eligible to apply for round one co-funding are outlined in Table 2 below. Sites can be owned or operated by private entities, NSW Crown Lands, local government, or community groups.
- Accommodation – short-term accommodation with 10 or more bedrooms
- Attractions –amusement parks, historical and heritage sites, shopping centres, etc.
- Caravan, camping and holiday parks
- F&B – breweries, bars, restaurants, cafes, wineries
- Information services – visitor information centres, public libraries
Applications for round one must be made using the online grant management portal. Applicants are strongly encouraged to carefully read the grant FAQ and other relevant documents to ensure their suitability and increase the chances of the success of their applications.
Treadstone experts can help you understand government grants and maximise the benefits for your business. We have been helping clients since 2008 and our clients can testify to our proven success record. Working with us means you get the maximum grant with minimum risk and effort. Our expertise includes R&D Tax Incentive registration and tax schedules, Export Grants, Capital Expenditure and Infrastructure Grants.
Get in touch with us and let’s discuss this more in detail.
For information about other Australian Government Grants, visit Treadstone New Grants page and sign up to our newsletter!