The Energy Market Ready Grants (EMRG) program has a funding grant of up to $50K for start-ups in the early to market entry stage with funding to further develop their data-driven or digital solutions. The goal is to evaluate and determine the kind of support mechanisms that Victorian start-ups with energy-related products and services need the most. The program is open to solutions that improve access to reliable, sustainable, and affordable energy to Victorians and capitalise on Victoria’s rich energy data resources.
Deadlines and Timings
Applications are open and will close on mid-April 2023. Activities must be completed and acquittal report must be submitted withing 6 months. Please note that all timings are indicative and are subject to change at the governing department’s discretion.
Overview and Grant Amount
The objective of the program is to support start-ups with innovative digital energy solutions that benefit consumers and contribute to Victoria’s energy transition.
Funding will be provided to:
- demonstrate the opportunities that digital or data-driven solutions present for the energy transition
- realise benefits for start-ups to operate and scale digital energy solutions in Victoria
- support the development of innovative solutions with a unique value proposition that demonstrate clear benefits for consumers
- build collaboration between government and start-ups to develop the digital energy ecosystem
Grants of either $25,000 or $50,000 are available to successful applicants from a total funding pool of $150,000. Applicants will need to demonstrate completion of all project activities within 6 months of receiving the grant.
Eligibility and Criteria
To be eligible, applicants must:
- have a current Australian business number (ABN)
- hold IP or the rights to commercialise
- be one of the following entities: sole traders, private sector starts ups, not for profit organisations
Government agencies, local government authorities, and established private sector businesses and agencies are not eligible to apply for funding.
The projects must:
- progress the development or path to market for a digital solution that benefits consumers and contributes to Victoria’s energy transition
- demonstrate at least 80% of the expenditure will occur in Victoria
- achieve at least one of the following financial outcomes: (i) received prior funding from an external source, such as grant funding, crowd funding, incubator or accelerator program, or previous investors; (ii) demonstrate co-investment can be secured for the project; (iii) demonstrate an ongoing funding stream
Grant funding will be available for a variety of proposals for a digital energy solution in the early to market entry stage, which may include but is not limited to:
- using energy data such as solar generation, battery storage or energy use to better engage Victorian households to improve their energy management and reduce their energy costs
- using digital solutions to create equitable ways of sharing sustainable energy with others
- providing easier access to sustainable energy and energy efficiency upgrade services for households and businesses
- any other digital or data-led innovation that enables the Victorian consumer to access sustainable affordable energy, more easily manage their home/business energy use or costs
Priority will be given to:
- start-ups that have demonstrated commercial potential but are yet to develop their solution and offer their product or service to potential customers in the market
- start-ups that are testing, trialling, making improvements, or demonstrating a market fit to a prototype or MVP product for market entry
Funding for wages and professional services can be included in applications as part of the grant funding.
We have over 14 years of experience preparing EMDG claims and can assist in making sure you receive your maximum rebate.
Working with us means you get the maximum grant with minimum risk and effort. Our expertise includes R&D Tax Incentive registration and tax schedules, Export Grants, Capital Expenditure and Infrastructure Grants.
Get in touch with us and let’s discuss this more in detail.
For information about other Australian Government Grants, visit Treadstone New Grants page and sign up to our newsletter!